Farmers in Gujarat's Junagadh Village Protest against Inclusion in Urban Area

Reported by

Aditi PatilLand Conflict Watch

Last updated on

July 8, 2021

Location of Conflict



Reason or Cause of Conflict

Township/Real Estate



People Affected by Conflict


Land Area Affected (in Hectares)



Starting Year






In October 2015, 5,000 farmers from 42 villages belonging to Vanthali and Junagadh blocks in Junagadh district protested in front of the district collector's office demanding that their villages be excluded from the new Junagadh Urban Development Authority (JUDA). They also submitted a memorandum, which the district collector did not take seriously, according to the farmers. There was another protest in the same month where about 2,000 farmers gathered to oppose JUDA. These villages were incorporated under JUDA in 2008. They now essentially fall under the Town Planning Act, which requires farmers to hand over 40 per cent of their land for developing city infrastructure and hand over the remaining 60 per cent at a different location. The main reason behind the resistance is that people wish to continue with their occupation as farmers and inclusion under the jurisdiction of JUDA will automatically mean a deduction of nearly 40 per cent of their land. They also fear that largescale urbanisation will rob them off water, making agriculture next to impossible and leaving them with the only option of selling their land. In 2016, 33 villages were allowed to exit JUDA, leaving behind 10 villages that continue to protest their inclusion. In February 2018, around 1,00,000 farmers from different parts of the state came together to strategise ways to oppose their inclusion under the respective Urban Development Authorities. In December 2018, the farmers threatened to stage a protest if they are not allowed to move out of JUDA, claiming that their cost of living has increased owing to being classified as urban. The convenor of the Khedut Hitrakshak Samiti, Atul Shekhda, stated, "There are many farm labourers. They have to pay INR 1,0001,500 every month for electricity, which they cannot afford. They have also not been provided the basic amenities they were promised in return."

Demand/Contention of the Affected Community

Refusal to give up land for the project, Demand to retain/protect access to common land/resources

Region Classification


Type of Land


Type of Common Land

Total investment involved (in Crores):


Type of investment:

Year of Estimation

Has the Conflict Ended?


When did it end?

Why did the conflict end?

Categories of Legislations Involved in the Conflict


Legislations/Policies Involved

  1. Gujarat Town Planning and Urban Development Act, 1976

    Section 22: [Appointment of Urban Development Authority for an area that is deemed to require development]

  2. Common GDCR Notification

    Rule 8.9.6: [Owners may have to contribute up to 40 per cent of their land for developmental purposes in non town planning areas]

Whether claims/objections were made as per procedure in the relevant statute

What was the claim(s)/objection(s) raised by the community? What was the decision of the concerned government department?

Legal Processes and Loopholes Enabling the Conflict:

Legal Status:

Out of Court

Status of Case In Court

Whether any adjudicatory body was approached

Name of the adjudicatory body

Name(s) of the Court(s)

Case Number

Major Human Rights Violations Related to the Conflict:

Whether criminal law was used against protestors

Official name of the criminal law. Did the case reach trial?

Reported Details of the Violation:

Date of Violation

Location of Violation

Nature of Protest

Complaints, petitions, memorandums to officials , Development of a network or collective action

Government Departments Involved in the Conflict:

Junagadh Area Development Authority

PSUs Involved in the Conflict:

Did LCW Approach Government Authorities for Comments?


Name, Designation and Comment of the Government Authorities Approached

Corporate Parties Involved in the Conflict:

Did LCW Approach Corporate Parties for Comments?

Name, Designation and Comment of Corporate Authorities Approached

Other Parties Involved in the Conflict:

Gujarat Khedut Samaj, Jamin Adhikar Andolan Gujarat, Khedut Hit Rakshak Samiti

Resources Related to Conflict

  • News Articles Related to the Conflict:
  • Documents Related to the Conflict:
  • Links Related to the Conflict:
No Images Available

Documented By

Aditi Patil

Reviewed By

Aditi Patil

Updated By

Aditi Patil

Edited By

Aditi PatilLand Conflict Watch

Support our work

Your contribution ensures continuity of this crucial project.

As a member, you will get exclusive access to special reports, policy papers and research projects undertaken by Land Conflict Watch and behind-the-scenes interactions with the writers and researchers about their work.
Contribute Now