Arjun Dam Project: Farmers Protest Against Improper Land Aquisition in Mahoba

Reported by

Pushpendra SinghLand Conflict Watch

Last updated on

December 3, 2019

Location of Conflict



Reason or Cause of Conflict

Irrigation Dam




Uttar Pradesh



People Affected by Conflict


Land Area Affected (in Hectares)



Arjun dam project is an ambitious multidamlinking initiative, which was started in 1952. The Project, costing almost 800 crores is going to affect more than 100 villages in Banda, Mahoba, and Hamirpur districts of Uttar Pradesh Bundelkhand. The Central govt will bear 90 percent of the project cost and the state will take care of the remaining 10 percent. A land parcel of more than 30,000 hectares will be acquired. However, farmers in the region are agitating against the project. Farmers are claiming that no land acquisition notice has been issued till now, neither has any rehabilitation plan been proposed. According to the farmers, the district administration has been luring the residents into taking the compensation based on circle rates with disregard for proper land acquisition procedure. Nearly 300 farmers have accepted the compensation whereas 10,000 farmers are on the verge of being displaced.

Region Classification

Type of Land


Private and Common

Type of Common Land

Non-Forest (Grazing Land), Non-Forest (Other than Grazing Land)

Total investment involved (in Crores):


Type of investment:

Land Area Affected
(in Hectares):



Starting Year


Government Bodies Involved in the Conflict:

Other Parties Involved in the Conflict:

Corporate Parties Involved in the Conflict:

Has the Conflict Ended?

When did it end?

Why did the conflict end?

Resources Related to Conflict